Highland Resort & Spa – REVIEW
Location: Fujiyoshida , Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan
- Highland Resort is located in a small town of Fujiyoshida, 1hr40min by bus from Tokyo.
- Take Express Bus from Tokyo Shinjuku Station. Book bus tickets online prior your trip HERE
- Famous theme park , Onsen Spa and numerous nature spots, incl. Mt. Fuji, makes it a great escape from busy Tokyo.
- The Resorts Bus Station is only 100m away from the hotels main entrance.
My reason for choosing this hotel, is the adjacent Fuji Q theme park. It is the Japanese answer to the American Six Flags. The highest, fastest and longest stomach churning roller-coasters for adrenalin junkies.
The Resort isn’t just all about the theme park. All guests can enjoy:
- Free access to fantastic 300sqm Onsen Spa ( Japanese spa with hot volcanic water )
- Free access to Fujiyama Museum
- Free access to the theme park ( pay by ride ) + 30min priority access in the morning
- Nature trips to nearby Mt. Fuji, Lake Kawaguchiko, or Chureito Pagoda at Arakura Shrine
- Freebees as a drinks and cakes for the ones staying on executive floors.
- Free Wi-Fi in all areas
The building itself does look quite ugly from the outside, but what a surprise … the mountain-lodge style lobby with light wood, stone and natural materials is very tastefully decorated and also quite luxurious. All the staff is very helpful, but the English language level could be improved.
I have arrived in the early afternoon, checked-in and did a quick walk around the theme park, to make a plan for the following day.
After enjoying couple of blissful hours in the Onsen Spa, I was ready to sample some delicious selection of Japanese food in the amazing Kokorogi restaurant.
Have an early night, if you are planning to spend the next day in the theme park!
I have chosen to stay on the executive floor as these rooms are refurbished, are on the top floor and have great view over the theme park. You also get a free cocktail, cake and some freebies.
The room wasn’t big, but nicely designed with all the amenities such as Coffee/Tea facility, mini bar, safe, free Wi-Fi, also one bottle of local Fuji Mineral Water ( + 2 free bottles of ordinary water)
The toilet has so many functions, I couldn’t figure out half of them ☺
Overall, very stylish and comfortable…
Even sometimes was challenging to communicate, they are trying their best to be a great hosts. Very helpful and efficient for every request.
Dining / Entertainment :
A breakfast buffet with Western and Japanese dishes is being served in Fujiyama Terrace restaurant and If you are lucky you may see Mount Fuji. (always cloudy )
Food selection could be better in my opinion and also, they stop refilling the food stations closer the closing time.
The Kokorogi restaurant serving Japanese dishes was excellent. The manager spoke fluent English and explain all about the dishes and how to eat them. It was fine dining experience which didn’t cost the leg.
Shanghai Saikan restaurant serves lavish Chinese cuisine
- Onsen Spa accessible via a passage way ( you can walk from your room dressed in the bathrobe )
- Hotel convenient store with food, Fuji themed souvenirs and gifts
- Karaoke Rooms
- 3 restaurants and a bar
Who is it for?
For someone who needs to escape the bustling Tokyo, Nature lover or a Theme Park addict. It’s a great place for one night or a few days. I would definitely return !
What makes it special?
- Onsen Spa
- Theme Park
Not so good
- English Language of the Check-in Staff
- Breakfast selection
Practical INFO :
- You can buy theme park tickets directly at the reception – 2 types ( pay by ride, or all incl. )
- Fast Pass ticket are purchasable in the park only ( make sure you get them first !!! )
- Onsen Spa is quite empty in the early afternoon
I HOPE YOU ENJOYED THIS POST & THANK YOU FOR VISITING
COME BACK SOON !